10 Best Iron Filters for Well Water (2021 Reviews)
According to the Minnesota Department of Health, there are certain subsets of soil as well as rocks that contain minerals very high in iron. This becomes an issue when rain falls or snow melts on the land surface and water seeps through iron-bearing soil and rock. This means that iron bacteria (meaning bacteria that lives off iron) can be dissolved into the water.
Iron is a contaminant that can clog and limit the lifespan of your water pipes and your faucets, as well as stain your dishes, plumbing fixtures, household appliances, and your laundry. Iron water can also make your drinking water have a bit of a metallic taste.
At the same time, in terms of your health, excess iron can result in hemochromatosis, a condition in which the build-up of iron is so substantial that your body can no longer rid itself of it, poisoning your liver, pancreas, and heart. This can cause diabetes, cancer, an irregular heartbeat, and even arthritis. Although this is extremely uncommon from drinking water, your chances of having too much iron in your water are higher when your water comes from a well than any other water source.
Here are the different types of iron you can find in your well water:
- Ferrous iron (or clear-water iron): Water comes out of the faucet clear, but will turn red or brown after being still.
- Ferric iron (or red-water iron): Water is red or yellow coming out of the faucet.
- Organic iron: It is usually yellow or brown, but may also be transparent.
This is where iron filters come in. If you are dealing with excess iron in your water supply, there are proactive steps you can take in order to fix it yourself. This is why this list has been compiled – this is your ultimate buying guide for all things clean water-related!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
10 Best Iron Filters for Well Water in 2021 – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-10).
1. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine, 99. 9% of viruses and bacteria and reduces harmful contaminants like lead, mercury, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, and...
The Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler is, as with the previous ones, a whole water filter system. Other than this great feature, this system also has a UV filtration system that removes viruses and bacteria. This particular system comes with an installation kit that includes 0.75-inch pipe fittings and it is fairly easy to install. This system also removes chloramine contaminants, a group of chemical compounds that contain chlorine and ammonia.
Features of the Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler:
- Removes up to 97% of the chlorine
- Works for 10 years or one million gallons
- UV Filtration removes 99. 99% of viruses and bacteria like e-coli and chlorine resistant cysts like giardia and cryptosporidium
- SCM salt-free technology
- Will not demineralize your water, harm your pipes with harsh salt, or put excessive amounts of sodium waste into our communal water supply
2. SpringWell Whole House Well Water Filter System
The SpringWell Whole House Well Water Filter System is a whole water system that can take care of every single faucet in your home. Here is how this system works: as water passes through the ceiling of the tank, the contaminants are oxidized within a pocket of air, which is then trapped within the filter’s green sand fusion. As the iron, as well as the sulfur and manganese, are pushed out the SpringWell’s whole house well water filter system uses its tank to cleanse the water. It is a very effective system that gets the job done for the entirety of your household for an affordable price.
Features of the SpringWell Whole House Well Water Filter System:
- Iron removal
- Manganese removal
- Sulfur removal
- Clears up to 7 PPM (parts per million) of iron
- Flow rate of 12 GPM (gallons per minute)
- Lifetime warranty
- 6-month money-back guarantee
3. Tier1 Essential Certified Series Whole House Water Filtration System for Iron, Manganese and Sulfur Reduction
- EASY INSTALLATION: Installs quickly and easily at your water's point of entry.
The Tier1 Essential Certified Series Whole House Water Filtration System for Iron, Manganese, and Sulfur Reduction is another whole house water system that can take care of the entirety of your household. This is yet another completely effective system that removes iron up to 10 PPM as well as is nationally recognized with its gold seal of compliance. All you need to do is go through their long list of benefits and you are sure to be satisfied.
Features of the Tier1 Essential Certified Series Whole House Water Filtration System for Iron, Manganese, and Sulfur Reduction:
- Pre-filter that removes microscopic debris 5 microns in size
- Removes iron up to 10 PPM
- Rust-free aluminum bracket
- Uses water pressure rather than electricity
- Received the gold seal of compliance from the Water Quality Association NSF/ANSI Standard 61
- Backwashes both iron and manganese out
- Safe to use with septic tanks
- 90-day satisfaction guarantee
- Limited lifetime warranty
- 7-year limited lifetime warranty on the solid-state microprocessor
4. Clearly Filtered Triple Stage Kitchen Faucet Filtration System
- ✅#1 WATER FILTER: Our one-of-a-kind 3-stage system is capable of removing harmful contaminants from the tap water right from your faucet. It removes more chemicals and contaminants than the top 5...
The Clearly Filtered Triple Stage Kitchen Faucet Filtration System is a three-stage system, and it has been tested for several standards mentioned below. When it comes to filter renewals, these filters usually last large families approximately 9 months, small families and couples 12 months, and single users 15 months. It will remove fluoride, lead, arsenic, and over 230 other contaminants by an average of 99.7% from your cold water line. They will also give you a full refund if for some reason you find yourself not being happy with this product. They will also replace it free of charge in case it breaks.
Features of the Clearly Filtered Triple Stage Kitchen Faucet Filtration System:
- 3-stage system
- Independently tested to NSF & EPA standards
- It eliminates fluoride, lead, PFOA/PFAS, pharmaceuticals, and pesticides from tap water while retaining natural minerals and nutrients like calcium and magnesium
- Lasts an average of 1 year
- Removes over 230 harmful chemicals
- Does not require a plumber, tools or drilling
- Leak-proof filter
5. AFWFilters IRONPRO2 Pro 2 Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Fleck 5600SXT Digital metered Valve for Whole House
- Ships Pre Loaded Water softener, iron filter, all in one! high flow for whole house use!
The AFWFilters IRONPRO2 Pro 2 Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Fleck 5600SXT Digital metered Valve for Whole House is a potent water filter that comes with a 18×33 round brine tank and a bypass valve. The softener system works through a process of ion exchange, meaning that the sodium ions swap places with the positively charged mineral ions which include iron.
This is an easy to install water filter. AFWFilters will send you a DIY VIDEO instructions for installation & programming, making this a great water filter for all the independent, do-it-yourselfers.
Features of the AFWFilters IRONPRO2 Pro 2 Combination Water Softener Iron Filter Fleck 5600SXT Digital metered Valve for Whole House:
- Ships pre-loaded
- Fine mesh resin designed for high iron removal
- Easy installation
- Digital metered valve for efficiency and ease of use
- 5 year warranty
- Removes hardness up to 70 gpg
- Removes Iron up to 4-7 ppm range
- Removes Manganese up to 6 ppm
6. Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter System with 2 Black Berkey Elements and 2 Fluoride Filters
- Includes Big Berkey stainless steel housing (Upper, Lower, Lid and spigot etc.), 2 Black Berkey Filters, and 2 Fluoride Elements.
The Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter System with 2 Black Berkey Elements and 2 Fluoride Filters fits big households and will let you have not only purified water, but it will also take care of the fluoride in your water. This is a great system for your home.
Features of the Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter System with 2 Black Berkey Elements and 2 Fluoride Filters:
- Includes Big Berkey stainless steel housing (Upper, Lower, Lid, and spigot, etc.)
- 2 Black Berkey Filters
- 2 Fluoride Elements
- Holds 2.25 gallons of purified water
- Designed for home use for 4 to 16 people
- 6,000 gallons for a two-filter system
- Can filter up to 1,000 gallons (3,785 liters).
7. AFWFilters Air Injection Iron, Sulfur, and Manganese Water Filter
- Silver 10 air injection by AFW Filters for iron and sulfur
The AFWFilters Air Injection Iron, Sulfur, and Manganese Water Filter uses a special type of technology in order to clean your water. The AFW (abundant flow water) Air Injection Platinum 10 System utilizes oxidation. Oxidizing systems can be especially useful filters for your home. This system also automatically backwashes the system on your behalf every couple of days. The only thing you would need to do is make sure you monitor your water bill once in a while. This system’s bypass valve also provides an effortless system shut-down without the inconvenience of turning off the main water line, saving you time and money.
Features of the AFWFilters Air Injection Iron, Sulfur, and Manganese Water Filter:
- Filters out up to 2 PPM of manganese
- Filters out 10 PPM of iron
- Stainless steel bypass
- One-inch FNPT thread
- Ease of maintenance
- Tackles staining and odor
- One tank, rather than the bulky designs of having two separate tanks
- A digital display
- Reasonable price
- Whole-home filtration
- Rids iron, sulfur, manganese
8. Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter
- DuraWater, Black Series HD Digital air injection system
The Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter is a lovely choice not only for people who struggle with iron in their water supply but also sulfur since this is a filter that also removes sulfur, which is the contaminant responsible for your water having a foul smell. Although this unit might be a little bit more pricey, it can be completely worth it. This system has an incredibly easy installation as well as had a control head that starts off the backwash automatically, making this an incredibly easy system to install and maintain.
Features of the Durawater Air Injection Iron Eater Filter:
- Air injection oxidizes water for optimal filtration
- 10×54” mineral tank
- 1.0 cubic ft centaur carbon
- Removes Iron (up to 12 ppm)
- Removes 2 ppm manganese
- Removes 8 ppm hydrogen sulfide
- 1″ plastic bypass
- Performs efficiently
- Auto backwash and regeneration
- Super-easy installation
- Amazing customer support
9. iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Protect your family and household appliance from iron, manganese and more; our 3rd stage filter (FM25B) is specially designed for iron and manganese removal, reducing iron (MAX 3.0 ppm down to 0.01...
Yet another one on this list, the iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System is a whole house water system. The only particular downside of this system is that it fails to soften water, however, it is a quality filter nonetheless. Not having a water softener means that you will have hard water, which is characterized by water that has high mineral content (in contrast with “soft water”). Hard water is formed when water percolates through deposits of limestone, chalk, or gypsum which are largely made up of calcium and magnesium carbonates, bicarbonates, and sulfates. This type of water can be especially harmful to your pipes, your clothes, as well as your hair and skin.
As with the Clearly Filtered system, it is also a three-stage filter that removes the common contaminants and abundance of heavy metals found in well water. The first stage of this filter attains filtration up to 5 microns. The second stage of CTO carbon black filters eliminates herbicides, pesticides, and 95 percent of chlorine from water.
Features of the iSpring WGB32BM 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System:
- Removes up to 95% of chlorine, VOCs, and other contaminants
- 3-stage filtration
- Water flow rate: 15 GPM
- 1-year limited manufacturer guarantee
- PP layered sediment filter
- CTO carbon block filter
- Iron manganese filter
- Iron Removal: 3ppm
- Multi-layer filtration
- Requires minimum maintenance
- Top-notch quality filters
- Easy to install
- Low maintenance
- Capacity of 100,000 gallons of water
10. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
- Whole House Water Filter: Reduce harmful impurities and dangerous heavy metals from your entire home’s water with Express Water’s 3 Stage Heavy Metal Water Filtration System. Heavy Metal Water...
The Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter is a fantastic system that doubles as a water filter and a water softener. It is also a three-stage system, which undergoes a sediment filtration, a kinetic degradation fluxion (KDF), and a carbon block (ACB). The first stage removes the sand, dust, and dirt, and the next two stages remove rust, iron, chlorine, VOCs, copper, cadmium, odors, silt, turbidity, sand, viruses, and nickel. The KDF filter media contains a specially good filter media that is fantastic at removing contaminants. You may notice a small drop in water pressure with this system but otherwise, it should be a great system to use in your home.
Features of the Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter:
- 3 stage whole house filter
- 1-year warranty
- Removes sand, rust, and dirt
- Three filter cartridges work for a year
- Improves the taste of water
- Filter capacity: 100,000 gallons
- Easy to maintain
- Removes impurities
- Simple replacement of cartridges
What Are The Benefits of A Water Filter?
A house water filter system can range from anywhere to mood-lifting additions to your home to life-saving tools for your family. Everyone understands how important water is for your life and your health, and something as important as water deserves to be treated as such. If you are still not convinced, here is a list of the vast advantages to having a water filter installed in your home:
- Cheaper than buying water bottles
- More eco-friendly than buying water bottles (plastic)
- Removes water impurities and dangerous contaminants such as chlorine, disinfection byproducts and heavy metals such as mercury, lead, and arsenic
- Ensures that important minerals such as magnesium, fluoride, calcium, and zinc are retained, which protect you from toxins
- Your water will taste better
- Your water will smell better
- It will help skin hydration, nutrient absorption, weight loss, detoxification, digestion and a reduction in the risk of cancer as well as support the immune system and mental health function
- High durability rate
- Low maintenance
The Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System w/ UV Purifier & Salt-Free Descaler is our absolute favorite one. A long-lasting filter that will be in your home for 10 years and will not use salt, it is not surprising that this would be our top pick for iron filters. Its UV purifier is really just hitting the nail on the head with an already great iron filter.
When you are dealing with iron in your water, it is important to have all the information you can possibly have. There are many different things that can be in your water, not only iron, so it is also important if you need to use one of these systems together with a different one that treats it for other issues. As most of these water filtration systems, you are able to install yourself, then you are also in charge of your own research. Thankfully, you can learn the hardness and iron levels of your water by getting a water test beforehand. This way, you can know how hard a filter (and whether you should have to complement it with a water softener also, as well as other types of water treatment systems) you will need in your home. Hopefully, this list has let you in on some industry secrets and will help you provide your family with better, cleaner water. So get researching so you can bring life’s most precious resource at the best quality for your loved ones!
Bonus tip: Check out this video on iron and manganese treatment in water so you can get a sense of how the process works!