10 Best Whole House Water Filters for Well Water in 2021
Clean water is important. It is important to have it in your whole home. Most people use tap water for several things around the house, so why not try and get the best quality water in your entire water supply, especially if your water source is a well? Around 13 million homes in the US use a private well for drinking water, according to an article by the EP. There are obvious benefits, but there are also downsides.
Well water can contain impurities like bacteria – E. Coli, protozoa, as well as some viruses that might make you sick. Read more about it on the Minnesota Department of Health. There are also many hard water minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, and iron, and other harmful contaminants that may cause a mineral buildup in your home’s water pipes and heating system. They can also diminish your appliance’s lifespan.
This is why many people turn to home water filtration systems (or whole house water filter systems, as they are often called). Filtered water can take care of all these problems in your household and more. This is why we have compiled this list to help you choose which is best to improve the water quality in your home!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
10 Best Whole House Water Filters for Well Water in 2021 – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-10).
1. Aquasana 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine, 99.9% of viruses and bacteria and reduces harmful contaminants like lead, mercury, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, and...
The Aquasana 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino boasts a unique dual tank design. This means that the water will have more contact time with the filter media, allowing for more thorough filtration. It is a carbon filter and salt-free water softener combo with a capacity of 5 years or 500,000 gallons of water. Its flow rate stands at 7 GPM (gallons per minute). There is an optional UV purifier, which sterilizes bacteria, viruses, and cysts by altering the DNA of these microorganisms, killing them, and preventing them from being able to reproduce.
There is also a sediment pre-filter that can trap rust, silt, and sediment; a copper-zinc as well as a mineral stone filter reduces heavy metals and prevents algae growth. Additionally, there is a salt-free water softener that alters the structure of hard water minerals, crystallizing them, and preventing them from being able to bind to surfaces. This is called scale control media (SCM) technology.
Features of the Aquasana 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino:
- Does not add chemicals or salt to water during filtration/softening
- Uses multiple means of filtration to eliminate a broad range of contaminants
- Both filters and softens water
- Reduces heavy metals
- Lower flow rate
- You will need to purchase additional fittings for installation
- NSF certified
- 90-day guarantee
2. iSpring RCC7
- [CERTIFIED TO NSF/ANSI 58]: High Capacity Reverse Osmosis water filtration for fresh water. This under sink mounted RO water filter removes up to 99% of over 1, 000 contaminants, including lead...
The iSpring RCC7 is a recently upgraded iSpring system that eliminates up to 99 percent of more than thousands of pollutants, including lead (expels up to 98 percent of lead), fluoride, chlorine, arsenic, asbestos, calcium, hormones, microorganisms, giardia, sodium, infections and a lot more. It is the most effective filter on this list.
A few fantastic added bonuses are its incredible price, as well as its easy, DIY installation (no need for a plumber). All you need is a little motivation to get through the video instructions. Its compact size also means that you can fit perfectly under a standard kitchen sink or basin.
Features of the iSpring RCC7:
- Recently upgraded
- Filter cost
- Great price
- Filter duration
- Installation a bit difficult than same APEC systems
- Possibility of breaks because of powerless fittings
3. APEC Reverse Osmosis
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered, and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health. WQA certified to provide unlimited clean, refreshing crisp tasting water superior to bottled water
The APEC Reverse Osmosis can remove up to 99 percent of pollutants including chlorine, arsenic, lead, fluoride, substantial metals, microscopic organisms, infection, and thousands of pollutants. A few more lovely features about this reverse osmosis system: the filterability of this system is 50 gallons for each day at 60 psi. Its tank capacity stands at 4 gallons. Its pH capacity ranges from 2.0 – 11.0. It has a capacity for TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) of 2000 ppm (parts per million). The water pressure in this system ranges from 40 to 85 psi.
This system comes with a 100 percent lead-free fashioner fixture. When you purchase this product, you will receive an additional filter, so you can use it for as long as a year with the filter changes without extra expenses. It is an FDA Certified JG Food system with two years broadened maker guarantee with registration. It boasts a simple DIY installation experience with the best quality leakage-free brisk interface fittings that will allow you easy maintenance.
Features of the APEC Reverse Osmosis:
- Extra Filters
- Effortless Installation
- Long Filling duration
- Valve Could Be Improved
4. Home Master Artesian Undersink
- A Better RO System—innovative design solves the most common problems with traditional RO systems.
The Home Master Artesian Undersink houses a container filter channel that addresses leakages, slow stream rate, administration challenges, and marginally acidic water. It has a five-year partial guarantee. This system can remove up to 98 % of synthetic concoctions, including chloramine, and different pollutants. It can remove 5 NTU (Nephelometric Turbidity Unit) of extreme sediment, 2000 ppm of TDS, it can remove a maximum level of hardness of 10 GPG, a maximum iron level of 0.2 ppm as well as it has a pH margin of 4 to 10.
Features of the Home Master Artesian Undersink:
- Full Contact Technology to remineralize water
- Modular filter system structure
- 2x filter life of contenders
- 4-gallon pre-pressurized water stockpiling tank
- Chrome valve
- 5-year limited the company’s warranty
- A high rate of water waste
- 50 gallons of clean and pure water yield every day is on the low end
- Does exclude a UV light to eliminate microscopic organisms like bacteria and different microorganisms
5. Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
- Whole House Water Filter: Reduce harmful impurities and dangerous heavy metals from your entire home’s water with Express Water’s 3 Stage Heavy Metal Water Filtration System. Heavy Metal Water...
The Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter is specially designed for removing sediment, heavy metals, chlorine, iron, manganese, fungi, herbicides, and VOCs, making it ideal for treating water from a well. It also boasts quite a very high 15-gallon flow rate. It has a capacity of 1-year or 100,000 gallons and a 1 year warranty. This system is also made with 100% food-grade materials, which is great since materials such as plastics will not leak into the water during filtration.
This is a three filter system – a sediment filter that has 4 distinct layers that can catch sediment like sand, rust, and dirt down to 5 microns in size, the KDF filter (kinetic degradation fluxion) filter, which filters out iron, lead, sulfur, algae, arsenic, chlorine, fungi, and mercury, and the third filter, which captures chlorine, pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals that affect taste and odor. It is recommended that you replace these filters twice a year.
Features of the Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter:
- Simple enough to install yourself
- Offers high flow rate filtration
- Filter removes heavy metals
- Filters need changing frequently
- You may need additional fittings and connections for installation
6. Home Master 3 Stage Filtration System
- Great for well water; for city water, consider model #HMF2SmgCC
The Home Master 3 Stage Filtration System is specifically designed for well water use. You are allowed a free consultation with them before installation. This product offers three stages of filtration that can remove up to 95% of chemicals, sediment, and other contaminants that affect water appearance, taste, and odor. This filter has a flow rate of up to 15 gallons per minute, and it has a capacity of 1 year or 100,000 gallons. There is also a 2-year warranty.
Here are some more specifications – there are three filters in this product, a multi-gradient depth sediment filter, which boasts four different layers of 25, 10, 5, and 1 micron; a radial flow filter that reduces up to 3 ppm of iron; and an activated carbon filter (carbon block filter), which removes chemicals like pesticides and herbicides from your well water.
Features of the Home Master 3 Stage Filtration System:
- Easy to install DIY
- Multiple filtration stages target different contaminants
- Requires more maintenance than other systems
- Does not remove as much iron as other filters
7. iSpring 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Protect your family and household appliance from iron, manganese and more; our 3rd stage filter (FM25B) is specially designed for iron and manganese removal, reducing iron (MAX 3.0 ppm down to 0.01...
The iSpring 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System is a three-stage filter capable of removing up to 99% of chlorine from water (both municipal and well water), as well as 95% of sediment, including rust, and chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides, VOCs, industrial solvents, and other contaminants. This is a whole house filter including a sediment filter and two carbon filters.
It has a capacity of 1 year or 100,000 gallons, a flow rate of 15 GPM. This product comes with a high capacity polypropylene sediment filter (5 microns capacity), and two coconut shell carbon media filters. The last two are third-party certified by NSF standards and ANSI standards, so although they are not certified by these organizations, they have been found to comply with their standards.
Features of the iSpring 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System:
- Easy to install the system
- Can be used on both well and city water
- Chlorine removal capability is not useful for well water
- Filters need changing every year
8. WH-LD Watts Premier
- WHOLE HOUSE WATER FILTER: The Whole House Filter provides cleaner water into your home while protecting your water heater, washing machine, refrigerators, ice-makers and other appliances from the...
The WH-LD Watts Premier is another lovely whole house filtration system that also includes a water purifier. It also comes with a 50-micron residue filter, ball faucet, and wrench. It also has a 15 thousand gallons capacity and a working temperature of 100°F and at least 40 °F. One downside is that the water pressure might drop after some time of use, meaning that the water flow could end up being slower.
Features of the WH-LD Watts Premier:
- 50-micron filter system
- Built-in detour faucet
- 15 thousand gallons capacity
- Getting only one unit will not do it for your full house needs
- Does not have a water softener
- Pressure will diminish essentially after some time
- Might spill in case that it is not installed appropriately
9. Aqua-Pure 3M AP903
- CLEARLY GREAT WATER: This whole house water filter reduces sediment as well as chlorine taste and odor*
The Aqua-Pure 3M AP903 is a sturdy Rapid Change Filter Cartridge that has a non-destructive hardened steelhead and a carbon filter media. It is certified to be FDA CFR 21 consistent. It has a very high stream rate of 20 gallons per minute.
Features of the Aqua-Pure 3M AP903:
- Small unit measurement
- Only one filter require to be changed per year
- Relatively inexpensive
- Very Slight pressure fall
- Filters to only 5 microns
- Sensitive to metals like iron as well as weighty dregs
10. Watts WP500313
- Two-stage filtration system that is easy to install in homes and apartments
The Watts WP500313 reduces entamoeba cryptosporidium, cyst, lead, VOC (volatile organic compounds), atrazine, simazine, benzene, trihalomethanes (TTHM), xylenes, lindane, and a lot more. It also decreases the taste and the odor of chlorine. This water filter system has a capability of 600 gallons and it is NSF licensed. Although it is the last one we listed, it is still a responsible, worthy design.
Features of the Watts WP500313:
- Simple and easy to install
- Laboratory tested
- NSF licensed
- Might spill in case that not installed appropriately
- Duration of filtration
The Aquasana 500,000 Gallon Well Water Rhino has got to be our top pick for this list. It is not only a great filter, but it has an added salt-free water softener that will make sure your pipes and appliances remain alright. It is definitely the best product for your whole home.
There are different types of water filtration systems, and different types of products that take care of different things in your water. If you are looking to improve the quality of life in your home, you have to know what it is that might be diminishing it. There are healthy minerals that are of no harm to your health, but they can be harmful to your pipes. At the same time, there are harmful contaminants that can cause no harm to your pipes but can be worse for your health.
It is important to care for the water quality in your home. If your water supply is a well, there are added concerns about water safety that you need to be aware of. It seems that homeowners have more and more to worry about these days, but thankfully, these filters have an answer to some of the problems you might run into. So read up, and get on it!
Bonus tip: Check out this video on the differences between well and city water!