7 Best Countertop Water Filters (2021 Reviews)
Your tap water can be filled with impurities and harmful contaminants. Your kitchen faucet often does not offer you the best water quality. In order to have pure water with only beneficial minerals on it, you might need to get a water filter. It definitely beats buying water bottles all the time and wasting all of your money. Having a water filtration system can really help you take care of these issues.
Whether it is a reverse osmosis system (reverse osmosis filter), an under sink water filter, a gravity water filter, an activated carbon filter, a water filter pitcher, a carbon filter (with a carbon block), or as we will discuss in this article, a countertop water filter, a water filter removes the impurities present in your water and can produce better tasting water than unfiltered water. Check out this article by Brizfeel about the different types of water filters.
A countertop water filter system is placed on top of your kitchen isle, near your kitchen sink, and connects directly to your water line. Here is an article by Drink Filtered explaining the benefits of having a countertop water filter system.
We have put together this buying guide of countertop water filtration systems so you can get started on taking care of your water’s home today!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
7 Best Countertop Water Filters (2021 Reviews) – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-7).
1. Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- 2.25 GALLON CAPACITY- The portable Big Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 1-4 people each day. Add additional Black Berkey Purification Elements (the Big Berkey System...
The Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter is a fantastic, renowned filter that has a lifespan of 6,000 gallons of water. Its bottom reservoir holds 2.25 gallons of filtered water at once, making sure you and your family have enough to make their morning coffees or teas with. This filter requires no electricity, no plumbing in order to install it, and it has no need to be connected to a water source. Since this is a gravity filter, it is no wonder that this filter uses gravity in order to force the water through a filter cartridge in order to purify it. This system can also be used to filter through well water, which is a fantastic added feature.
Similarly to a filter pitcher, all you need to do is fill a top reservoir and the water will trickle down and get filtered along the way. Since this system requires no electricity or no connections, it is easily portable, even though it can be considered larger than other countertop filter systems. The only downside to this product is that it does not instantly filter your water, meaning you will have to let it sit for a second in order to have pure, clean water. This issue should be mitigated by the fact that this system has a fairly large bottom reservoir.
Features of the Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter:
- 6,000-gallon lifespan
- The bottom reservoir holds 2.25 gallons of filtered water
- Does not need to be connected to a water source
- No plumbing required
- No electricity required
- Can be used to filter well water
- Easily portable
- Much larger physically than other countertop water filters
- Does not instantly filter water
- High durability
2. APEX Quality Countertop Drinking Water Filter
- REDUCES HARMFUL CONTAMINANTS IN TAP WATER: Removes 99% of substances commonly found in sink tap water like chlorine which contribute to bad odors in your water, chloramine, benzene, radon, and heavy...
The APEX MR10-50 Countertop Drinking Water Filter is a high-quality 5 stage filtration system that can remove chlorine and other contaminants. By reducing chlorine, this system easily gets rid of bad tastes and smells in your water. A great special feature of this particular countertop water filter is that its last stage of filtration comes with a remineralizing element that can alter the pH of your water in order to make it more alkaline, meaning it will have a pH level between 7 and 8,5.
Alkaline water can have an array of healthy properties, such as immune system support, colon cleansing, weight loss, and cancer prevention. It can be a great and easy way to take better care of your health. This is a portable and lightweight system that is easy to install but can be tricky in terms of filter replacement, as some reviewers have mentioned.
There are only two downsides to this system – it does not remove fluoride from your water, so in case you are looking for a filter that does, you might wanna check out some others on this list. It also has a fairly short lifespan of only about 750 gallons of water, meaning you will have to replace it faster than you would other models.
Features of the APEX MR10-50 Countertop Drinking Water Filter:
- 5-stage filter that removes chlorine and other contaminants
- Does not remove fluoride
- Lasts for about 750 gallons
- Taste is improved by chlorine removal
- Addition of pH altering minerals
- Portable and lightweight
- Some people have found it difficult to replace the filter
- The lifespan of the filter is relatively short
3. Aquasana AQ-4000W Countertop Water Filter
- Removes over 97% of chlorine and reduces 76 other contaminants - NSF certified to remove lead, pharmaceuticals and more
The Aquasana AQ-4000W Countertop Water Filter is a lovely countertop water filter system that can remove up to 97% of chlorine present in your water as well as 77 other contaminants, as it is certified by the NSF (National Science Foundation). The manufacturer also claims that it uses a 2-stage filtration technology called Claryum® through which it is able to remove ten times more contaminants than the top filter pitcher on the market. It also claims its twin cartridge will increase efficiency all around.
This Aquasana product also boasts an easy and fast installation as well as a high water flow rate of 30 gallons of filtered water per hour. The only downsides to this countertop water system are that although the product claims to last 6 months, this can be quite a low lifespan for the type of product it is. Another downside is that it is placed at a higher price point than products from some of their competitors.
Features of the Aquasana AQ-4000W Countertop Water Filter:
- 2-stage filtration
- Remove up to 97% of chlorine
- A high flow rate of 30 gallons per hour
- Easy and fast installation
- Filters will last around 6 months
- Twin cartridge use increases efficiency
- NSF certified to filter 77 contaminants
- A higher price point in comparison to some competitors
- Filter lifespan is on the shorter side
4. Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2
- Highly pure water - three-stage filter removes up to 93 percent of fluoride, chlorine, and other chemicals
The Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2 is a great countertop water filter system that boasts an extra-long chrome faucet for all your water needs. Unlike other products mentioned above, this lovely water filter will actually remove fluoride from your water, contributing to health benefits as well as to your water taste and smell. This water filter will also remove other contaminants such as arsenic, TOCs (Total Organic Carbon), VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), chlorine, and selenium. This product boasts a unique design that will prevent water from bypassing the filter. The only downsides to this system are that it does carry an even lower filter lifespan than other products mentioned above, needing to be replaced every 500 gallons of water or every three months.
This is one of the lowest filter lifespans we have mentioned on this list. At the same time, this filter will not remove TDS or Total Dissolved Solids, so although the fluoride in your water will be gone, certain organic microorganisms will not, which might become an issue for you or your family. However, this should not be a big problem, since TDS in small amounts can be beneficial to you – as an example, calcium and magnesium can balance out the water’s pH as well as give it a better alkaline taste.
Features of the Home Master TMJRF2 Jr F2:
- Extra-long chrome faucet
- Removes fluoride from your water
- Removes other contaminants such as arsenic, TOCs, VOCs, chlorine, cysts, and selenium
- Filter design is unique, preventing water from bypassing the filter
- Short filter lifespan needs to be replaced every 500 gallons or 3 months
- Will not remove TDS
5. New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System
- DRINK SAFE WATER: Enjoy fresh filtered water with the 10 Stage water filtration system that removes a significant amount of common water contaminants and bacteria found in tap water, including...
The New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System is a wonderfully designed filter system that boasts an impressive 10 stage filtration process. This incredibly thorough process will remove multiple contaminants such as lead, dirt, rust, chlorine, and other heavy metals. It also boasts a fantastic remineralization phase that will add calcium (a healthy mineral) back into your water, making sure that your water’s pH will improve and with it the number of health benefits you are entitled to. This is a great filter that is especially easy to install as well as to replace. It is also a long-lasting filter that should be good for at least a year before you need to replace it again.
Considering we have seen a lot of filters on this list with a significantly shorter lifespan, this one can be a great investment if you are looking for a product with less of a hassle. It also boasts a one-year warranty in case it is faulty. The only downsides to this system are that its replacement filter might not be as functional as the original one, as some reviewers have reported. This system also does not remove fluoride from your water, which as was mentioned above, if that is what you are looking for in a water filter, then this one should not be the one you choose to purchase for your home.
Features of the New Wave Enviro 10 Stage Water Filter System:
- 10 stages of filtration
- Removes contaminants such as lead, dirt, rust, chlorine, and other heavy metals
- The remineralization phase adds calcium back to the water to improve the water’s pH
- The filter itself should last for a year before it needs replacement
- Easy to install and change the filter
- The warranty is only good for one year
- Does not remove fluoride
- Effectiveness of replacement filter may not be as good as original
6. Ecosoft Countertop Water Filter System
The Ecosoft Countertop Water Filter System is a reliable product that is both lightweight and compact and has a very easy installation process that has no need for a professional. When you purchase this product, you will not need to purchase anything on the side in order to make it work since you will receive everything you need including a wench, faucet adaptors, and an extra length of hose.
This is a product made from activated coconut carbon shells and it is able to remove chlorine, heavy metals, sediment, lead as well as by-products from the chlorination treatment process. This is a lovely product that offers great value for money and a decent filter lifespan of 1,500 gallons of water, which is not a very significant lifespan for the type of product this is. The only other downside to this system is that when installing, the written instructions you will receive could use with a bit more of a detailed explanation.
Features of the Ecosoft Countertop Water Filter System:
- Lightweight and compact
- Does not need a professional installation
- Everything you need to install the system including a wrench, faucet adapters, and an extra length of hose are all included in the package
- The filter will last for about 1,500 gallons before it will need to be replaced
- Made of an activated coconut carbon shell
- Removes chlorine, heavy metals, sediment, lead, chloramine, and by-products from the chlorination treatment process.
- Great value for the money
- Written instructions could be improved
- Shorter filter lifespan than other similar products
7. iSpring CKC1C Countertop Water Filter
- CLEAR HOUSING - See-through housing allows you to visually inspect the filter and know when it's time for a filter change.
The iSpring CKC1C Countertop Water Filter is a fantastic iSpring product that boasts a 10-inch filter cartridge that can get rid of particles that are 5 microns in size or larger. It can also get rid of harmful substances such as chlorine, sediment, rust, sand, herbicides, and pesticides, as well as other chemicals. This countertop water filter system’s most significant feature is that it boasts a clear filter housing that lets you see when your filter is ready to be changed. When it does come time to change the filter, you can replace it with any type of 10-inch filter cartridge you can find.
There are a few downsides to this system. The first is that it will not work well with high water pressure, meaning you will lose efficiency if the pressure of your water supply is high. Another is that this countertop water filter system does not have a flow restrictor (which is used to restrict the flow on the drain line, keeping the membrane pressurized and controlling the recovery ratio of the system). The last issue with this system is that the instructions for the installation of this product could be a little clearer, meaning you might have a little bit of trouble trying to put this product together.
Features of the iSpring CKC1C Countertop Water Filter:
- 10-inch filter cartridge
- Removes particles that are 5 microns in size or larger
- Removes substances such as chlorine, sediment, rust, sand, herbicides and pesticides, asbestos, and other chemicals
- Clear filter housing of this unit allows you to see when the filter is ready to be changed
- Can use any 10-inch filter cartridge when it comes times to replace
- Does not work well with high water pressure
- It does not have a flow restrictor
- Instructions could be more clear
The Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter is unsurprisingly the best product on this list. The Berkey brand is one of the leaders in the market and this product does not stray from its usual quality. It is a durable, long-lasting filter that will make sure all your water filter needs will be taken care of.
Your water can be contaminated in more ways than one. It is important to take care of the water running through your taps and make sure you give yourself and your family the best kind of water. A water filter system really does seem to be the easiest, best way to take care of everything running around in your water supply.
Bonus tip: Check out this New York Times video on how tainted tap water is in the USA!