7 Best Faucet Water Filters in 2021 (In-Depth Reviews)
There are many contaminants that can be in tap water that can prevent you from getting high-quality, clean water from your water supply. There are chlorine and chloramines, that might affect water taste or odor and prevent you from getting great tasting water. There are minerals that cause water hardness, like magnesium and calcium that can cause build up in your pipes and be a complete hassle to deal with. There are contaminants that might cause discoloration, unpleasant smell, and bad taste, including sulfur and rust.
There are larger particles, such as sand, dust, dirt, and other sediments. There are bacteria and cysts, especially in well water. There are lead and other heavy metals. There are pesticides and other harmful chemicals. This is where filtered water comes in. This means no more need for bottled water, meaning you do not have to waste your money on water bottles. A water filter (or a water purifier) can remove all of these contaminants through different processes (such as reverse osmosis) and makes it so that the water coming out of your faucet into your kitchen sink is clean and pure.
The filtration process will make sure the water flow will be purified and cleansed and whether you need cold water or hot water you will be getting the best kind of water. Water filters (whether countertop, under-sink, or faucet water filters) might also include a remineralization filter, which adds healthy amounts of calcium and magnesium to the water. This is a lovely added feature that not all water filters have. This article will act as a buying guide for all your sink water filter needs. We have even included links to each product so you can get started today!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
Table could not be displayed.
7 Best Faucet Water Filters in 2021 (In-Depth Reviews) – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-7).
Table could not be displayed.
1. Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter
The Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter is a great Culligan product that you should be able to easily screw onto your standard home faucet. It has a special design that makes it so the physical size of the filter is minimized, making it more compact and practical. It is certified to two ANSI (the American National Standards Institute) standards to reduce chlorine taste, lead, sediment, lindane, and particulate class 1 elements. This faucet water filter should last you for around 200 gallons of water or a 4 to 6-month timespan. When you purchase this product, you will receive a number of common faucet adapters in order to start your installation. You will not need tools in order to install this product. The only downsides to this product are that this brand’s replacement filter cartridges can be a little pricey, and this product is lacking an electronic filter change indicator, so you will not know when your filters are not working anymore.
Features of the Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter:
- Easily screws onto most faucets
- The design is intended to minimize the physical size of the filter
- Certified against two ANSI standards to reduce chlorine taste, lead, sediment, lindane, and particulate class 1 elements
- Lasts around 200 gallons, or 4-6 months
- Provides a number of common faucet adapters
- No tools necessary for installation
- Culligan replacement filter cartridges are a bit more pricey
- No electronic filter change indicator
2. Waterdrop Water Faucet Filtration System
The Waterdrop Water Faucet Filtration System has a great, long life of 320 gallons of water and can fill up an impressive four 16-ounce bottles in under one minute, meaning it has an impressive level of water pressure. It will remove fluoride from your water (as well as other impurities) so you can get on with your day feeling energized and hydrated. This product is NSF certified to both standard 42 and standard 372 for the removal of both chlorine and lead, as well as other common contaminants which include sediment and rust.
You will receive 6 common faucet adapters when you purchase this product, which is an impressive added feature. There are only a few downsides to this water filtration system. The first is that there is no filter replacement indicator, meaning that you will not know when you should be replacing your water filters. This failure, although not uncommon, can be a real issue when you unknowingly start drinking unfiltered water after the filters have surpassed their lifespan. The other downside is that the installation can be a little tricky to DIY in case you are using an adapter.
Features of the Waterdrop Water Faucet Filtration System:
- Longer lasting filter life of 320 gallons
- High durability
- NSF certified to standards 42 and 372 for the removal of chlorine and lead, along with various other common contaminants such as sediment, rust, and other particles
- Removes fluoride from water
- Fills 4 16-ounce bottles in under a minute
- Provides 6 common faucet adapters for you in the package
- No filter replacement indicator
- Tricky installation if using an adapter
3. PUR Advanced Faucet Filtration System
The PUR Advanced Faucet Filtration System is a lovely product that can be attached directly to most standard kitchen faucets, which is a plus. It will reduce over 70 different harmful contaminants and it is NSF certified to remove up to 99% of lead and other impurities. It can also remove from your water particles that are 0.3 microns in size or larger. This filter has a capacity of 100 gallons of water and should last you around two or three months before there is a need to replace it.
This is a great filter that stands at a lower price point than other similar products on the market, so you will be saving money by choosing this PUR product. The only downsides to this system are that it might not function as well with low water pressure, which is not ideal if that is the case in your home, and the second downside is that some reviewers have reported that the water filter change indicator light has been found to have issues every now and then.
Features of the PUR Advanced Faucet Filtration System:
- NSF certified to remove up to 99% of lead and other contaminants
- Removes particles 0.3 microns in size or larger
- The activated carbon filter capacity is 100 gallons
- Last 2-3 months before you will need to replace it
- Attaches directly to most kitchen faucets
- Reduces 70+ contaminants
- Lower price point than others
- Might not function as well with lower water pressure
- Filter change indicator light may have issues
4. Brita Tap Faucet Water Filter System
The Brita Tap Faucet Water Filter System is a great filter that can remove up to 60 contaminants, including 99% of lead. This filter’s lifespan is a little on the shorter side, only lasting around 2 to 3 months. This Brita water filter has a capacity of 100 gallons of water and is both NSF (National Science Foundation) and ANSI (American National Standards Institute) certified for standards 53 and 42 for the removal of lead, asbestos, and 58 other contaminants.
This water filter does come with an indicator light that will let you know when the filters need to be replaced by flashing orange when it is time. You should not have a problem changing this product’s “1-click” filters. However, you will need to pay a premium in order to buy the Brita brand filter replacement cartridges. There are other downsides to this system, which are that it does not actually reduce chlorine, meaning your water’s taste will not be improved and that this system is prone to both leaking and breaking, which is not fantastic.
Features of the Brita Tap Faucet Water Filter System:
- Removes 60 common contaminants including 99% lead
- Filter capacity is 100 gallons or roughly 2-3 months of use
- NSF/ANSI certified for standards 53 and 42 for removal of lead, asbestos, and 58 other contaminants
- You will pay a premium for the Brita brand filter replacement cartridges
- Does not reduce chlorine
- Prone to leaking and breaking
5. Engdenton Faucet Water Filter
The Engdenton Faucet Water Filter is a great, reliable water filter system that can remove up to 99 percent of lead as well as 70 other harmful contaminants. This filter uses a technology that according to the manufacturer is the latest filter technology called PAC-tech as well as an activated carbon layer in order to filter your home’s water. It also boasts a high flow rate, with the ability to fill around 8 cups of water per minute. This water filter has a long life of 6 months, which is longer than other products mentioned on this list.
This faucet water filter is compatible with the most standard faucet you will found in most kitchens, meaning installation should be quite easy. There are two downsides to this system. The first is that there is no actual information on the PAC-tech filter technology, so it is hard to understand its benefits. The second is that there is no evidence of NSF (National Science Foundation) certification, meaning that we cannot know the full extent of this filter’s water filtering powers.
Features of the Engdenton Faucet Water Filter:
- Removes up to 99% of lead in addition to 70 other contaminants
- The filter is activated carbon and uses PAC-tech that the manufacturer claims is the latest filter technology
- A fast flow rate that can fill approximately 8 cups of water per minute
- High GPM (gallons per minute)
- Lasts up to 6 months
- Compatible with most standard faucets
- Not much information about the “PAC-tech” filter technology
- No evidence of NSF certification
6. DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet
The DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter is a water filtration system for your faucet that is able to reduce sediment, benzene, chlorine, asbestos, lead, and mercury. It should last you around two to three months on average (which is not much compared to some other products on this list) and it has a water capacity of 100 gallons. It is a sturdy filter made from durable material. This water filter is WQA (Water Quality Association) certified for the reduction of lead, mercury, asbestos, sediment, and cysts.
When you purchase this filter, you will receive washers, faucet-mount, 2 adapters, and even plumbing tape to make sure that the installation process of this product is as smooth as it can be. The only real downside to this system is its short filter life, since having to replace your filter four to six times a year can get quite inconvenient for the average American family home.
Features of the DuPont WFFM100XCH Premier Faucet Mount Drinking Water Filter:
- Reduces sediment, benzene, chlorine, asbestos, lead, and mercury
- Includes washers, faucet-mount, 2 adapters, and even plumbing tape
- The filter should last 2-3 months on average
- WQA certified for the reduction of lead, mercury, asbestos, sediment, and cysts
- Average filter capacity of 100 gallons
- Made from durable material
- Filter life is on the shorter side
7. Instapure F2 ESSENTIALS
The Instapure F2 Essentials Water Filter is a great water filter that boasts a unique design that allows you to see inside the filter through a clear filter cap. This can be quite illuminating since you will be able to see what is inside your drinking water and how polluted it can actually be. This water filter is ANSI (American National Standards Institute) and NSF (National Science Foundation) certified to standards 42 and 372 to reduce 97 percent of chlorine, 99 percent of lead, and VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). This filter should last you for 200 gallons of water or two to three months of use.
Perhaps due to its shorter filter life, this product is priced lower than other competitors, which is a plus. It also has surprisingly low-cost filter replacements for when you need them. This water filtration system boasts a very easy installation process, without the need for any special tools in order to complete the process. There are a few downsides to this system. The first is that reviewers have mentioned that this product has a tendency to leak. The second is that instead of metal or stainless steel, this product comes with plastic faucet adapters, which likely contributes to this water filter’s relatively short lifespan.
Features of the Instapure F2 Essentials Water Filter:
- ANSI/NSF certified to standards 42 and 372 certified to reduce 97 % chlorine, 99% lead, and VOCs
- Unique design and clear filter cap that lets you see the filter inside
- No special tools for installation
- Lasts for around 200 gallons, or roughly 2-3 months
- Priced lower than many of its competitors
- Low-cost filter replacements
- Has a tendency to leak
- Plastic faucet adapters
Our Winner:Table could not be displayed.
The Culligan FM-15A Faucet Mount Filter is our top pick on this list. It is the longest-lasting product and boasts two ANSI certifications. No tools are needed to install so you can get it done the day you purchase this product. It is really the best on the market.
Bonus tip: Check out this useful video on how water filters work!