Aquasana AQ-5300+.55 Review (2021)
There’s nothing quite like a glass of crystal clear, clean drinking water. Unfortunately, most of the water people are drinking today isn’t quite as clean as we would all like it to be. That’s where great water filtration systems come in.
One of these is the well-known Aquasana AQ-5300+.55 which is regarded by many as one of the best under-the-sink water filtration systems on the market. Learn more about the benefits and features of this water filter with this in-depth review!
What Is The Aquasana AQ-5300+.55?
The Aquasana AQ-5300+.55 has a secret weapon that blows other similar water filter systems completely out of the water. With this product, Aquasana has decided to use Bluetooth to create a filter change notification system that will send you a message when you have to buy new filters and change them.
With this system (which unfortunately only works on iOS at the moment), you can also check how much water you are spending as well as how much money you have saved by not buying bottles of water. You can find this product on Amazon. This is an ideal under sink water filter system for people who live in Huntsville, Anchorage, San Francisco, or any of the other cities that use chloramine to disinfect municipal water, since this filter can take care of the chloramine in your water, which is not common for most kinds of water filters.
Although this product is highly recommended for municipal water, it is not recommended for well water, since it does not remove total dissolved solids. Total dissolved solids are particles that are embedded in your water. These include minerals and salts.
If your water filter does not remove total dissolved solids, then that means you will get all the benefits of the beneficial minerals that are present in it, and your water will be alkaline, yet you will also receive all of the harmful ones in your drinking water.
Furthermore, you will also be more likely to have hard water, which is water that can harm your pipes, your clothes, your hair, your glassware, and more through minerals such as calcium and magnesium that accumulate on and stain them. Thankfully, you will be able to purchase a water softener if you are worried about your water hardness and would like to fix it. This water filter will also not prevent staining from ferrous iron.
Aquasana AQ-5300+.55 Features
- The filter sends you a notification on your phone via Bluetooth when you have to change it
- You can also monitor the amount of water filtered
- It can remove both chlorine and chloramines along with many other contaminants
- It is an Aquasana 3-stage max flow under sink water filter
- Relatively easy DIY installation without a need for a plumber
- Warranty is six months
- There are three finish options (brushed nickel, chrome, and oil-rubbed bronze)
- It is pricey compared to other under sink water filters
- The replacement filters cartridges are not cheap either
- Installation takes time partly because you need to install a dedicated faucet
- There is a relatively short filter life (around 6 months)
How Do You Install The Aquasana AQ-5300+.55?
In this section, you will be able to understand what the installation process is like and how it is done, in the case that you are wondering whether you would be able to do it by yourself. Installation for the Aquasana AQ-5300+.55 is generally considered easy and fast. If you have any issues, you will also be able to find video instructions on the internet. So here are the steps you need for the installation of this product:
- Unpack and unwrap the contents. Turn off and disconnect the cold water supply.
- Attach the threaded ends of the supplied brass tee to the cold water supply line and shut-off valve and then tighten using an adjustable wrench.
- Attach the white tube to the brass tee: Slide the compression nut onto the white tubing (with threads of the nut facing the end of the white tube). Next, slide the plastic sleeve onto the white tube. Place the brass insert into the opening of the white tube. Push the tip of the white tubing into the opening of the brass tee. While holding the white tube in place inside the brass tee, tighten the compression nut to compress the plastic sleeve and create a seal. Use a wrench to ensure a complete seal. Avoid over-tightening.
- Faucet Installation: Tighten nut to secure the faucet to sink.
- Faucet Connection: Connect the outlet hose to the base of the faucet by sliding the chrome nut onto the tube followed by the white-collar. Place the white insert into the end of the tube. Press the tube against the faucet base and slide the nut and collar up to the threads. Use a wrench to ensure the seal is sufficiently tight. Avoid over-tightening.
- Unit Installation: Select a space under your sink for the filter unit that is at least 12 inches from the bottom of your cabinet and allows for easy access to your cold water supply and for filter replacements. Use the mounting holes located at the back of the unit to mark the wall screw placements with a pencil. Center to center hole distances: 98mm.
- Use a 7/32” drill bit to drill holes for the plastic anchors provided. Carefully tap the anchors into the drilled hole with a hammer. Mount the unit to the wall with the screws. Pull the protective plastic strip from the battery compartment. The red LED should flash and beep five times to indicate that the battery is installed correctly.
- Attach each sump to the bottom of the unit housing. Align connection points, push the sump up and turn to the right. Ensure that the sump is locked in.
- Connect the supply lines: insert the tubing from the tee fitting into the inlet side and insert tubing from the faucet into the outlet side. It is very important to insert the tubing completely so that leaking does not occur.
- Turn the cold water on. Check for leaks and proper installation: place a towel under the filter unit and check for leaks. Allow the water to run for 10 minutes to flush carbon fines. Never use oils to lubricate the O-rings as O-rings come pre-lubricated.
At the end of the day, the Aquasana AQ-5300 is a superb water filter. We’ve shown you the benefits of superior water filters such as this one and taught you how to install them properly. Now, it’s time to enjoy the clean water you have always deserved and protect yourself from some of the harmful components of unfiltered water.
What Are Granulated Carbon And Activated Carbon Water Filters?
First, we will discuss the granulated carbon water filter. This type of water filter is made using ground-up carbon and held together loosely inside a cartridge or another kind of container. Since they are less compound and solid than the activated carbon filters, they are less effective. However, they are less expensive and boast a higher water flow rate. They also last much longer.
On the other hand, activated carbon filters, while also use carbon, this carbon is much more finely ground and much more tightly packed with a food-grade binder into a solid block, meaning that they let a lot fewer contaminants pass through. However, this also means that the water takes longer to pass through the filter, slowing down your water flow rate. They do remove bad odor and taste from your water.
None of these filtration processes require electricity, and they do not eliminate minerals or salts. When they are used together, they are fairly effective in removing contaminants and deliver high-quality and great-tasting water. However, if you do not feel satisfied with the reviews of this type of filtration technology, then here are some other kinds you could look at:
Reverse Osmosis Filter
- It is very effective
- It has one of the best price-to-quality ratios
Activated Alumina Filter
- It is one of the only filters that effectively removes fluoride
- It is inexpensive and effective
- It can leak a small amount of aluminum
- It is a natural method
- They can filter through bacteria and protozoans effectively
- They are not as effective at removing viruses
- There can be an increase in bacterial contamination with poor-quality filters
- It is highly effective
- It can also improve the smell and taste of the water.
- It is a slow process
Ultraviolet Water Purifying System
- It kills bacteria, parasites, and viruses
- It does not remove contaminants like minerals or lead
Ion Exchange Filter
- It can soften hard water
- It does not require electricity
- It requires regular maintenance
What Is An Under Sink Water Filter?
Under sink water filters are greatly effective, space-saving products that are placed under your sink and attached directly to your main water line, giving you filtered water from the source. This means that you can turn on your faucet and what will come out will not be tap water, it will be filtered water.
These are some of the most convenient types of water filtration systems that do require installation but it can often be done DIY and within a small amount of time. They are some of the most effective systems on the market, perhaps only beaten by the whole-house models.
The high quality does come with its own higher price tag, but for these kinds of products, usually, the price-to-quality ratio is quite good. If you are not satisfied with this and would like to take a look at other types of water filter models, here are some of them with their respective attributes:
Water Pitcher Filter
- They are a widespread and affordable solution
- They are free-standing
- They improve the taste and odor of water
- They have a short shelf life and need to be replaced regularly
Faucet Water Filter
- They attach easily to any faucet
- They are inexpensive
- They filter water right at the tap
- They slow the water flow
Whole-House Water Filters
- They treat all water in the house
- They can remove volatile organic compounds
- They require professional maintenance
Countertop Water Filters
- It can switch easily between filtered and unfiltered water
- It can have its own spout
- It requires installation
- It can require a decent amount of space
Refrigerator Water Filters
- It removes bad odors and tastes
- It eliminates contaminants
- It needs to be replaced regularly
Portable Water Filters
- It has a small design for camping and hiking
- It removes microorganisms
- It only filters limited amounts at a time