The Best Salt for Water Softeners (Top 10 in 2022)
It’s no secret that a water softening system effectively softens water and elevates its overall quality. As a result, you can enjoy safer and healthier cleaning and drinking water. Here’s where the best water softener salt comes into play as it steps up the functionality of your softening system by a few notches.
However, with the plethora of products that have littered the market, there’s no denying that finding the best option for you is no easy feat. After all, they come in different sizes and offer various features that can have you engulfed in a wave of confusion. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the top 10 options of salt for water softeners that will give you the best bang for your buck. Read on!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
10 Best Salt for Water Softeners – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-10).
Available in a 50-lb size, the Morton-40D salt pellets eliminate the need to frequently purchase a salt bag. You can rely on its practicality as an option for a water softener salt that lasts longer compared to the counterparts that come in smaller bags. However, it may also depend on the frequency with which you replenish the quantity of salt in your water softener, particularly if you reside in a place with high levels of hardness.
Investing in Morton-40D as the best water softener salt for your treatment system can prolong its longevity. The salt pellets lack chemicals or filler that would degrade the efficiency and performance of your system. You’re also assured of water purity that goes a long way in prolonging the lifespan of your fixtures and plumbing system.
After all, the last thing you need is frequently shelling out hundreds of bucks on repairs and part replacements. These pellets have a patented formula that extends the lifespan of your heating system. In addition, it ensures optimal operation to get more out of this appliance and never worry about spending on costly repairs as a result of mineral and scale buildup.
- Contains a patented formula
- Packaging enhances portability
- Prolongs the lifespan of your fixtures, heater, and other household appliances
- Effectively softens the water
- Available in a large bag
- Pricier than other brands
2. Cargill Salt 7304
It’s a consistent top ranker for a good reason. In addition to its unmatched performance and quality, a multitude of people gravitates towards the Cargill Salt 7304 because its natural and solar salt crystals are more efficient, and cleaner compared to a rock salt based water softener system. It’s an economical and practical option because it doesn’t cause salt bridging, whereby a hard crust forms in the brine tank, resulting in improper regeneration.
The Cargill Salt 7304 gives you the much-needed peace of mind in knowing that your water softener system will function optimally. As multipurpose salt, it comes in handy in curing olives and pickles, quality grading sensitive veggies, and processing poultry or meat.
Furthermore, the packaging is a polyethylene bag with film liners of the same material for protection against moisture and humidity.
- Polyethylene packaging for protection against humidity
- Cleaner and more efficient than rock salt
- It doesn’t cause mushing, bridging, or channeling
- Can be costly in the long-run
3. Morton U26624S
- Morton solar salt water softening crystals
When looking for the best water softener salt, it’s no secret that you might have stumbled upon these softening crystals, which a multitude of homeowners gravitate towards for a more efficient and cleaner solution.
The Morton U26624S salt crystals won’t result in channeling, bridging, or mushing that would otherwise significantly lower the efficiency of your water softener due to the set of salt in the softener or reduced water flow. These are common issues that crop up with other brands of water softening salt.
Salt crystallization and other causes of damage to your softener become the least of your worries. The Morton U26624S salt crystals also lack extenders and additives, making them one of the most reliable options in the market. The product also elevates soap lather, making your laundry cleaner and softer. Not only do your clothes benefit from this but also your hair, skin, and nails.
Harvested from saltwater, the 40-pound Morton U26624S crystals are suitable for various types of water softening systems. They’ll give you peace of mind in knowing that your appliances will function for an extended period due to the absence of hard water spots that would otherwise damage them.
- Naturally harvested without additives or fillers
- Enhances the longevity of appliances
- Suitable for all types of water softening systems
- Prevents mushing, bridging, or channeling
- Perfect for skin, hair, laundry, and nails
- Effective but uneconomical for people on a tight budget
4. Morton Rust Defense
If you reside in an area where the water hardness level is at an all-time high, then the Morton Rust Defense salt pellets are just what the doctor ordered. They offer a clean solution for your water softening system as they don’t cause channeling or mushing. The absence of fillers or harmful chemicals in the pellets prevents damage to your system and ushers in other perks.
For instance, they can elevate the taste and smell of water and prevent the formation of rust in your kitchen, bathroom, and plumbing fixtures. Secondly, they help in keeping the appliances free from mineral buildup and hard water spots.
In turn, you cut down on the costs of frequent repairs or purchasing new appliances such as a washer, dryer, or heater every few months. Lastly, your soap will lather better to reduce laundry time.
- Improves the taste, smell, and overall quality of the water
- Cuts down on the replacement and repair of appliances
- Prevents the buildup of scale, rust, and minerals on plumbing and fixtures
- Pure as it lacks chemicals or fillers
- You’ll need a significant amount for extreme water hardness that can become costly
5. Diamond Crystal
If you’re searching for the best water softener salt, you might consider the 40-pound Diamond Crystal. What sets it apart from the pack is that it’s mostly potassium chloride, a low-sodium chloride option to traditional water softening salt. Made of 99.1% of pure potassium chloride, Cargill Diamond Crystal salt won’t cause leaks in your water softening system or clog it because it has significantly low levels of insoluble content.
The salt prolongs the lifespan of water-utilizing appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines, showerheads, and heaters. It keeps your system running seamlessly and efficiently. Therefore, shelling out extra bucks on unwarranted unit repairs or replacements becomes the least of your worries.
Diamond Crystal is perfect for all types of water softening systems. Furthermore, it can be used in water for plants and animals as it is safe, pure, and of top-notch quality. The salt prevents the clogging of pipes and valves and hard water stains in your plumbing fixtures and heaters by diminishing the level of water hardness.
- Safe for plants and animals
- Enhances the longevity of water-utilizing appliances
- Prevents the clogging of plumbing fixtures, pipes, and valves
- Made of 99.1% potassium chloride for unmatched solubility
- Prevents unsightly hard water stains
- Prevents the buildup of scale and minerals
- Not ideal for those who prefer pellets to crystals
6. Morton 1499 Clean Protect
- Helps clean your water softener while it works to remove hard water minerals
It’s the best water softener salt you can rely on to replenish the salt of your water softening system. While effectively eliminating hard water minerals, Morton 1499 Clean Protect curbs the damage to your water fixtures, appliances, and pipes. It also removes the necessity for frequent repairs and part replacements in your plumbing system that typically crop up because of the buildup of scale and minerals.
Morton 1499 Clean Protect comes in a bag that’s easy to transport, open, and is designed for effortless pouring into your water. Additionally, it has resin cleaners to make sure your water treatment system runs seamlessly for an extended period.
- Reduces the buildup in your water softener
- Contains resin cleaners
- Comes in an easy-to-open, carry, and pour-out bag
- Prevents the buildup of scale and minerals in appliances and plumbing systems
- Not as effective against rust formation
7. Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft
If you gravitate towards water softener salt pellets, then the Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft is right up your alley. With a high purity rate of 99.8%, you can rest easy knowing that it lacks additives that might damage your water treatment system. Furthermore, the pure pellets effectively guarantee smooth water flow and optimal functioning of your system.
In addition to impressive efficiency, these pellets usher in other perks. For instance, they eliminate magnesium, calcium, barium, iron, and other hard minerals that would cause the buildup of scale, rust, and hard water spots in your fixtures (sinks, faucets, and showerheads) and plumbing system.
Furthermore, Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft prevents stains on your clothes while improving the lathering of soaps. The pellets are also effective in boosting the health of your skin, hair, and scalp, allowing you to take advantage of shinier and smoother hair and diminish the likelihood of dry skin and an itchy scalp.
- Comes in a 50-pound bag for economical use
- Eliminates hard minerals
- Promotes a healthier scalp, skin, and hair
- Improves the lathering of soap
- Enhances the lifespan of water-utilizing appliances
- Prevents stains on clothes
- Carrying the bag and pouring out the pellets is cumbersome
8. Morton Salt System Saver II Club Bag
- 40 lb. Exclusive club bag
As you shop for the best water softener salt, consider the Morton Salt System Saver II Club Bag for unrivaled performance and efficiency. Available in a 44-pound bag, it’s a practical and economical solution for anyone looking to cut down on the cost of frequently purchasing a bag of salt to soften their water.
You can improve a boatload of elements in your home when you considerably elevate the water quantity, for instance, less time to clean clothes since they’ll lather and won’t get stained by hard water. Secondly, the Morton Salt System Saver II Club Bag helps you avoid the costly maintenance of your plumbing system, fixtures, and water-utilizing appliances.
Thirdly, the patented formula of salt boosts the efficiency and lifespan of appliances such as water heaters. It also prevents mineral buildup in appliances and pipes. With an easy-to-open tab and hard handle, transporting the bag and pouring the salt is hassle-free.
- Diminishes challenging water issues such as poor lathering of soap
- Eliminates the cost of frequent appliance repairs and replacements
- Prevents mineral buildup in appliances and pipes
- Hard carry handle for enhanced portability
- Patented formula for enhanced efficiency
- Easy-open tab
- Not as effective in preventing rust buildup
9. Diamond Crystal Iron Fighter Pellets
Are you looking for the best water softener salt that is more cost-effective and cleaner compared to ordinary salts? Then the Diamond Crystal Iron Fighter Pellets wrap up your search. They come in a large 40-pound bag and won’t cause various issues such as rust buildup, mushing, or salt bridging, all of which diminish the efficiency of your water softener, resulting in leaks in your water system and a low flow rate.
Additionally, it can help you cut down on repair and replacement costs on faucets, valves, and fixtures caused by hard water while increasing the lifespan of your appliances.
- More affordable and cleaner than other water softeners
- Increases the lifespan of your appliances
- Perfect for stockpiling
- Ensures the efficiency of your plumbing system
- Doesn’t cause rust buildup, mushing, or bridging
- Not ideal for smaller households
10. Compass Minerals
- Highly soluble 99.8% pure salt
Made of 99.8% pure salt, Compass Minerals water softener has low insoluble content and is harvested from the sea. It improves water quality, making it safe for doing laundry, drinking, showering, and washing your hair. It also diminishes water hardness to improve the lathering of soap and prevents the buildup of minerals and scale in the faucets, pipes, and valves. As a result, you can prevent issues such as a lower flow rate.
- Improves the performance of water softening systems
- Prevents leaks, channeling, scaling, bridging, and mushing
- Compatible with various brands of water conditioning systems
- Not as effective in preventing the buildup of rust
As they say, knowledge is power. Now that you know the top 10 options for the best water softener salt, you can make a better choice. Lastly, remember to compare the pros and cons of each to know what to expect when selecting one option over another.