Filtered Water vs Tap Water (What’s the Difference?)
Are you torn between filtered and distilled water?
Wondering which type is best for you?
Well, let’s find out here.
What is filtered water?
Health benefits of filtered water
- Healthy minerals: Filtered water retains beneficial minerals like Magnesium, Calcium, and Zinc.
- It has no harmful substances like heavy metals, mercury, pesticides, Lead, etc.
- It improves overall health by protecting the body from diseases causing pathogens.
- It has Improved taste since it has fewer chemicals and microorganisms.
- It tastes and smells better.
- It boosts immune system health
- Filtered water is safer with fewer toxins
- Better for children as it has no chemicals or impurities
- Can cause dental problems
- It lacks healthy minerals.
- It may still contain some contaminants.
- The initial installation cost is high.
What is distilled water?
This kind of purified water has undergone the distillation process, which involves boiling the water to remove contaminants, collecting the resulting steam, and cooling it back to the water.
Health benefits of distilled water
It’s completely pure: The distillation process eliminates all contaminants leaving it entirely pure water.
Enhances immune system health: Since distilled water is free from contaminants, it’s beneficial to those with weak immune systems.
It’s healthier: Distilled water is more beneficial, especially in areas lacking strict tap water regulations.
- It’s completely free from all water impurities.
- It’s chlorine-free.
- Beneficial for people with reduced immunity, such as those living with HIV or cancer
- It’s devoid of electrolytes and other nutrients that are vital for an individual’s health.
- Distilled water can dissolve other materials like plastics which can interfere with the taste.
- It lacks Magnesium and Calcium necessary for control of heart conditions, fractures, etc.
- It makes you prone to teeth cavities since it has no Fluoride.
Is filtered water as good as distilled?
Filtered water removes the majority of harmful contaminants and toxins from water but retains the essential minerals, unlike distilled water, which eliminates everything, including the useful minerals. As such, filtered water is better.
Why should you not drink distilled water?
Distilled water lacks important minerals like Calcium and Magnesium. As such, continuous consumption may make you prone to some health issues.
Why is filtered water bad for you?
Overused water filters may add back bacteria into filtered water, further contaminating it and putting your health at risk.
What is the safest water to drink?
This is dependent on your preference as both types are safe for drinking. Just ensure your water is clean and include a proper diet.
What is distilled water used for?
Besides drinking, these are the other uses of distilled water:
- Steam irons
- Useful in aquariums
- Watering plants
- In-car cooling systems
- In continuous positive airway pressure machines for tackling sleep apnea.
Can filtered water be used in place of distilled water?
Yes. Both types are safe for use. If you want healthier and tastier water, filtered water is better. But if you want the purest, distilled is better though devoid of important minerals.
So, which water is best for you?
Well, there’s everything you need to know about the two types.
Make your choice.